So You’re Trying to Lose Weight
The gym houses a range of people, each one trying to reach their ultimate goal in the least amount of time possible. For those looking to lose weight fast, you know that it can be a struggle when sticking to a workout routine doesn’t seem to yield much. Although engaging in good, consistent physical exercise is still the number one path to a healthier and skinnier you, there are supplements that can aid you. Protein powders have been proven to help in weight loss and it is important to understand how exactly they can benefit you during your fitness journey. If you are a gym aficionado, you’ll obviously have heard of this supplement. Although the image of a giant, muscled bodybuilder may spring to mind, protein powders don’t aren’t just for the big and bulky. Instead, interestingly enough, adding protein shakes to your diet can help to keep the pounds off.
What are Protein Powders?
An important point to consider before moving forward is that the best nutrients come from real food. Protein shakes are not a replacement. Instead, they are merely an addition to your daily intakes and are great for when you can’t access the range of required daily nutrients. Essentially, protein powders contain a mix of ingredients that are added to water to create a protein shake. Because of their make-up, protein shakes are known to both increase metabolism and decrease hunger or appetite. The way this works is high-protein diets lead way to greater muscle building, which in turn helps to burn off more calories than usual. The ‘thermic effect of food’ is another phenomenon that maintains this higher level of metabolism – you simply need more calories to burn protein. Generally, when people embark on weight loss diets, they might find themselves losing muscle instead, which leads to burning fewer calories in the long run. Protein shakes can help combat this issue. Additionally, hunger is decreased due to the increase of hormones that help to reduce appetite.
A combination of both these effects and a good workout and diet can lead you to see results and see them fast. There are many more things protein shakes can do for you, and most claims are rightfully backed up by scientific studies and research. Clearly, there should be space for a good quality protein powder in your everyday diet and fitness plans.
Which Protein Powder is Best?
It’s easy to get overwhelmed by the amount of information online. Searching ‘protein powders’ yields a slew of results that are extremely difficult to comb through. To make it easy on you and shorten the path from research to drinking, here’s a list of the top five protein powders for weight loss, all easily available on Amazon.
Our Top Choices for Weight Loss
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein Powder
One of the most popular protein powders on the market, Optimum Nutrition really does provide a Gold Standard. It’s a best-seller in the protein powder category on Amazon and is featured as the top recommendation on BodyBuilding.com. It boasts whey protein isolate as it’s main ingredient, as well as a combination of other sought out ingredients. At almost $11 per pound, it’s not cheap but does seem to be a solid investment for those who are almost at their weight loss goals and just need a little push.
- Gold Standard 100% Whey delivers 24g of whey protein, has 5.5 grams of naturally occurring BCAAs, and 4 grams of naturally occurring glutamine per serving. Gluten Free.
- Whey protein shake consumed before or after exercise helps kick start muscle recovery for men and women.
- Have an Alexa device? Enable our "Optimum Nutrition Workout Recipes" Skill!
- Over 20 delicious flavors! Comes in multiple sizes, most popular are 5, 2, 10, and 1 pound sizes.
- Frequently purchased with ON Creatine, ON Amino Energy, and Opti-Men
BPI Sports Best Protein Whey Formula
Another top quality protein powder, this one clocks in at $16 per pound, which seems to be a steal for the number of benefits you can incur. BPI Sports’ crowning glory is the elimination of fillers and maltodextrin, a widely used food additive. Many believe these ingredients get in the way of pure protein and by removing them from the equation entirely, BPI Sports brings you almost 100% protein that aligns with your weight loss goals to a tee.
- Designed To Support Lean Muscle Growth And Rapid Recovery
- Loaded with Protein Isolates
- 5.5g Naturally Occurring Branched Chain Aminos
- No Maltodextrin. No Fillers
- Mixes easily! Tastes amazing!
MusclePharm Combat Powder Advanced Time Release Protein
The most affordable so far, MusclePharm provides protein at a mere $10 per pound. It’s also widely used, appearing on many fitness websites and recommendation links. Thousands of reviews all seem to echo the same things – mixes easily and tastes great, two major requirements of any protein powder checked off easily. You can’t go wrong with this one.
- 25Gs OF PROTEIN containing 5 PROTEIN SOURCES that are fast and slow digesting to fuel muscles and performance for hours! With added BCAAs, GLUTAMINE, & DIGESTIVE ENZYMES
- AWARD WINNING TASTE that mixes easily and goes great with water, milk, almond milk, fruits, and vegetables.
- BANNED-SUBSTANCE TESTED and certified by Informed-Choice. Athletes who see the Informed-Choice logo on a product can be assured it has undergone rigorous checks and testing to ensure that it is not contaminated with banned substances and is safe to use.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE All MusclePharm sales by Amazon.com are backed by a 30-Day, Full Money Back Guarantee.
- UNIVERSITY STUDIED FORMULA created for athletes seeking to optimize recovery, build muscle, and support strength
Isopure Low Carb Protein Powder
This contains 100% whey protein isolate and even comes in a Zero-Carb version or Low-Carb version, depending on which fits your needs best. These options are essential for those on strict diets and is something that not all brands offer. Let’s not forget the taste – many users rave about loving the taste of Isopure’s powder so it shouldn’t be that difficult to take in everyday!
- 25g Protein from 100% Whey Protein Isolate (per 1 scoop serving)
- Zero/Low Carb Options
- Added Vitamin & Mineral Blend
- Gluten & Lactose Free
- Loyal consumers might notice changes to Isopure product labels and differences in the way tubs are sealed. As we transition production to a state-of-the-art facility, rest assured that we will continue to provide you with the highest levels of product quality and safety. If you have any questions about authenticity, please contact the Isopure Company Consumer Affairs team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Body Nutrition Trutein Protein Blend
This protein shake contains a unique blend of 45% Whey, 45% Micellar Casein & 10% Egg White. It doesn’t disappoint either – it has garnered extremely high ratings on almost every website. If you want something different, affordable and something that works without fail, Body Nutrition Trutein is for you.
- Trutein is a premium protein blend of 45% Whey, 45% Micellar Casein & 10% Egg White. Our blend is unique because we do not hide the protein ratios in a 'proprietary blend' and we've formulated the best-tasting protein in the world according to our customers.
- Balanced Whey, Casein & Egg Ratios
- Sustained-Release Protein Matrix
- Premium Grass-Fed Dairy
- NO Amino Spiking
What are you waiting for?
Protein powders come in so many different variations. Each of the mentioned brands offer a range of flavors. What do you like? Chocolate? Vanilla? Strawberry? It’s available! Protein powders can be added to water, milkshakes, or even to some food or meals. There exist many ways to incorporate protein powders into your lifestyle and soon enough, you’ll begin to see the effect the combination of protein and exercise has when you step on the scale.